SAFER SCHOOLS TOGETHER
Safer Schools Together (“SST”) recognizes the importance of
privacy in relation to personal information we collect, use and disclose in
the course of our business activities. We attempt to ensure the accuracy,
confidentiality and security of such information. This policy describes in
general terms the principles we apply when protecting personal information in
our custody or control.
means information about an identifiable individual and includes employee or
volunteer personal information, subject to applicable exceptions. Personal
information does not include business contact information or work product
means the act of gathering, acquiring, or obtaining personal information
from any source, by any means.
involves voluntary agreement with what is being done or proposed. Consent
may be express or implied.
signifies than an individual, knowing what personal information is being
collected and for what purposes, willingly agrees to the information being
collected, used and disclosed as notified. It may be given in writing or
exists when an individual is “deemed” to consent to collection, use or
disclosure of personal information if the individual voluntarily provides
it for a purpose that would, at the time, be considered obvious to a
- 2.1SST is responsible for the confidentiality of personal
information in its custody or under its control in compliance with the applicable
- 2.2SST has appointed a Privacy Officer to be responsible
for implementing the privacy program.
- 2.3All SST directors, officers and employees are
- 3.1SST will collect, use or disclose personal information
only with knowledge and consent, except where required or permitted by law.
- 3.2Knowledge and consent to the collection, use and
disclosure may not be required under applicable privacy laws where the collection, use and
disclosure of personal information is in relation to a law enforcement
matter or where compelling safety issues exist.
- 3.3Consent may be implied in some situations while
express consent is required for the collection, use and sharing of confidential and
sensitive information. SST reserves the right to disclose information where
required or permitted by law.
- 3.4Consent may be withdrawn at any time, on reasonable
notice, subject to legal or contractual restrictions.
- 4.1SST will always endeavor to communicate the purposes
for which personal information is collected at or before the time the information
is collected, except as otherwise permitted under applicable privacy laws.
- 4.2Generally, SST collects personal information for the
- To develop, manage and deliver services to its clients,
including by conducting online student threat assessments within the education sector;
- To meet regulatory and reporting requirements of governmental
- To hire, manage and terminate staff.
Limiting Collection, Use, Disclosure and Retention
- 5.1SST will limit the collection of personal information
to what is necessary for the purposes for which it is collected.
- 5.2SST collects personal information by fair and lawful
- 5.3Personal information will only be used or disclosed
for the purpose for which it was collected, except with the individual’s consent or as
required or permitted by law.
- 5.4Personal information will be retained only as long as
necessary for fulfillment of the purposes for which it was collected, or as required or
permitted by law.
SST protects personal information by ensuring security safeguards
appropriate to the sensitivity of the information are in place,
including through the use of the following measures:
- 6.1Physical (i.e. locked filing cabinets, restricted access,
appropriate security measures when disposing of personal information)
- 6.2Organizational (i.e. security clearances, access only on a “need to
- 6.3Technological (i.e. passwords, firewalls, data encryption, data
disconnection from the Internet, and regular backups) and training of
employees and contractors.
- 7.1SST will make reasonable efforts to ensure that personal
information is as accurate, complete and current as required for the purposes for
which it was collected. In some cases, SST relies on individuals to ensure that
certain information, such as an individual’s home telephone number, is
current, complete, and accurate.
- 7.2From time to time SST may contact the individual to ensure that the
information collected is or remains accurate and up-to-date.
Right of Access
- 8.1SST is open about the policies and procedures it uses to
personal information. Any inquiries may be made to our Privacy Officer.
- 8.2Upon written request, SST will within a reasonable time period, tell
the individual what personal information it has, for what purposes it is
being used, and to whom it has been disclosed if applicable and within the
time period for which records are available.
- 8.3Individuals may challenge the accuracy and completeness of their
information and have it amended if it is inaccurate, incomplete or out-of-date.
- 8.4In certain circumstances, SST may refuse to disclose personal
- where required by law, certain personal information may not be
- where the information contains personal information about another
- where the information is of such a nature that its disclosure
could reasonably be expected to prejudice the mental or physical health
of the individual;
- where the information was gathered in the course of a formal
dispute resolution process;
- where the information is subject to solicitor-client communication,
attorney work product or litigation privilege.
Compliance and Contact Information
- 9.1Requests for access to information, issues or complaints
about SST’s compliance with this Policy regarding the handling of personal
information, and questions or comments about this Policy may be addressed to the SST’s